Typically the GSM stands for grams per square meter. Therefore GSM of a fabric means how much is the weight of a square meter of fabric in grams. In other words the weight in grams of a fabric with length X width = 1 meter X 1 meter. This is also called the areal density of the fabric or weight per unit area of the fabric.
Sometimes weight of the fabric can also be expressed in units other than grams and meter. There are a number of ways to express the fabric weight some of them are explained below.
- grams per square metre ( g / m2 )
- ounces per square yard ( oz. / yd 2 )
- momme ( a Japanese unit of weight = 4.33 g / m2 )
- grams per running metre (g / m )
- ounces per running metre ( oz. / yd )
The table below shows some typical LIGHT-HEAVY weight fabrics based on their GSM and their typical uses.