The word “Denim” was derived from French word “sergé de Nîmes” which means that the Fabric of Nîmes. The predecessor of denim known as dungaree. Dungaree fabric (used in English since 1605–15, from the Marathi dongrī) is a historical term for an Indian coarse thick 2/2 twill-weave cotton cloth, often coloured blue has been produced in India for hundreds of years, but modern day denim was first produced in the French city of Nîmes.
Denim is a sturdy cotton warp-faced textile in which the weft passes under two or more warp threads. This twill weaving produces a diagonal ribbing that distinguishes it from cotton duck. The most common denim is indigo denim, in which the warp thread is dyed, while the weft thread is left white. As a result of the warp-faced twill weaving, one side of the textile is dominated by the blue warp threads and the other side is dominated by the white weft threads. This causes blue jeans to be white on the inside. The indigo dyeing process, in which the core of the warp threads remains white, creates denim’s signature fading characteristics.
Classical Denim also known as Rigid Denim, is a heavy woven fabric made from 100% cotton and coarse indigo dyed warp and un-dyed weft yarn. It is high density fabric with a high mass per unit area and a 3/1 or 2/1- twill weave construction. It is available in attractive indigo blue shades and is made for a variety of applications and in a wide range of qualities and shades.
Besides Classical indigo blue, the Denim is also dyed in other fashion shades, washes and colors, the most popular being black Denim. Stretchable Denim made from combinations of spandex and cotton or other yarns is chicky, comfortable, fashionable, affordable and durable and popular in all age groups. Now a days Denim is available in different weight ranges from 3 – 14 oz/sq yds including both Classical Rigid and Stretchable.
Why not turn simple denim into a smart wearable?
Why not this unique yet most common bottom wear should serve some functions? Why not the denim should not be just a pair of jeans infact it should be made with sophisticated and intelligent functions? This is high time to turn your simple pair of jeans into a smart but chicky Functional clothing, with same classical rough aesthetic but intelligent functions.
So what functions a denim should have or should perform ? There are a number of possibilities that can be explored.
- Wireless mobile phone charging using harvested energy from walking or bicycling.
- Why you need to buy a separate yoga pants or exercise trouser? why your jeans cannot be used for such activities?
- Two way wear style: Is it possible to make a denim fabric with different colors or features that can be worn from both sides?
- A jeans providing you localized cooling by reducing the feeling temperature in summer and localized warming effect by increasing feeling temperature.
- Is it possible to develop a denim with an amalgamation of sensors, micro cameras and Artificial Intelligence (AI) for blind people? So that they do not need to carry the white cane all the time.
No doubt this chicky garment has a lot of potential to serve as functional clothing or smart wear able. However this is a matter of continuing research.